Sunday, July 18, 2021

Day 12- Red Meadow Campground - 68 miles

I am standing in a cold alpine lake easing my sore calf muscles. The lake is crystal clear and a calm blue green color.  The fish are jumping and I am listening to a fellow divide rider sing John Prine songs and play the ukulele and harmonica. It is a magical place and a wonderful reward for today’s effort. We had another big, hot climb to get here. 

There are several groups of Divide Riders here and all are heading south so they have just begun and we are close to end. Since we arrived later in the afternoon we did not get the lakeside, picnic table spot but everyone is friendly and sharing stories. We are amazed at the amount of gear some people have and today I was eyeing up the camp chairs. Oh well, soon I will have lots of time to sit in a chair. 

Most of the ride today was through the suburbs of Whitefish and then along the lake. Since it is a July Saturday, there was more car traffic than we have seen on this trip. On the rocky uphills, I have been picking my line up the hill so it was a little harder to just stay right and tough it out.

Wildlife sightings today were lots of young bucks. One was on the street corner kn Whitefish browsing on an Apple tree.